I’ve got another vegetarian recipe for you, this time it’s vegetarian Swedish meatballs! Something I’m particularly proud of…
This recipe is a combination of 2 recipes really. First, it’s a baked Quorn meatball recipe and secondly it’s a Swedish meatball sauce recipe – the sauce then gets poured over the baked meatballs and beans. Sprinkle diced parsley to garnish (optional).
Ingredients for the meatballs:
1 packet of Quorn meat-style meatballs
1 can Cannelloni beans
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions for the meatballs:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- In an oven-proof dish, mix the beans and meatballs and season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate ball combine the lemon juice, paprika, mustard and olive oil and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the meatballs to coat and mix well.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping the meatballs and stirring the beans after 10 minutes.
Ingredients for the sauce:
1/4 cup vegan butter or ghee
1/4 cup flour
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Directions for the sauce:
- While the meatballs and beans are baking, place a pot on medium heat.
- Combine the butter and flour, mixing until a paste is formed.
- Whisk in the broth, soy sauce, coconut milk, mustard and vinegar until smooth.
- Turn the heat up to high and as soon as bubble appear, reduce it to medium again.
- Cook for 5 – 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Pour over the meatballs and beans, and add salt and pepper to taste.