For the last couple of years, I’ve always envied those who’ve been able to transition into a plant-based diet. I know it’s what my body needs, but I’ve made excuses to avoid the transition. What would I eat? My husband won’t do it with me so would I have to make two different types of dinners at night? Where will I find the time to search for these recipes? I actually really like chicken and fish, am I really ready to give them up? And the excuses continue.
Add to that the fact that my body doesn’t allow me to enjoy all types of plant-based foods. For example, I learnt the hard way that tomatoes and bananas give me acute gastric inflammation, flaring up my leaky gut and leaving me doubled over in pain.
But thanks to all the self-improvement and mindfulness podcasts I’ve been listening to, my transition can be just that. A transition. A slow and steady change. Not a big implosion of my life.
So that’s what I’m doing now. I’m starting where I am, with what I have and working one new plant-based recipe once a week (but more likely every second week) into my life.
I’ve discovered that the biggest hurdle is I never know what to make. And then I get frustrated because it’s so much easier and quicker just to fall back on old recipes. So here my journey begins, my plant-based recipe archive. The recipes I’ll be posting are what I’ve found across the Interwebs, with links to the original recipe. I almost always make my own modifications to the recipes, to make sure it’s tasty for me – I am going to be eating them after all. So you’re welcome to check out the original recipe as well.
This week I’m starting with a really tasty vegetable curry.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
4 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, finger grated
1 Tablespoon ground coriander
1-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup milk
Salt and Pepper
3 cups mixed veg
1 can drained chick peas
I usually use a mixture of cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato, carrots, frozen peas
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and stir/cook, until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne; stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until evenly distributed throughout the spices, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, milk, and salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low or low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the veggies. Raise the heat to medium high and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Serve the vegetable curry over brown rice and garnish with cilantro.